Subiaco City Council has kindly offered the following comments (in blue) relating to garage sales.
(If there is no blue answer on a particular question, then a comment wasn't made.)
- Are permits required? Permits are not required for private garage sales.
- Are there any laws controlling the posting of garage sale signs? The ‘City of Subiaco Working from Home Policy’ states that only one A frame sign is to be allowed on the property.
- Are there limits to how many garage sales one person can hold per year? There are no limits as long as neighbours do not object.
- Are there laws about using the footpath in front of the person's house? The footpath is a public place and therefore cannot be used in this case without the specific approval from the City.
- Other comments offered. The ‘City of Subiaco Working from Home Policy’ and Trading in Public Places Local Law 2000 may be applied to garage sales depending on the circumstances. Refer to Council's website.
- Is there a page on the web site that covers the laws relating to garage sales?
1) Laws are always subject to change.
2) If there is any doubt, you need to confirm current council laws.
3) egaragesales.com.au provides this information in good faith, but will not be held liable or responsible for any losses or penalties incurred as a result of changes to, or misinterpretation of, current council laws as amended from time to time.